Saturday 16 January 2010

2010: The Year So Far (6)

Reddish Vale on the morning of January 10th seemed like the loneliest place on earth.
The weather was nothing short of Artic, there was hardly a soul about and far worst...The birds were suffering bad.
The large bag of food I had taken was nowhere near enough and it was heartbreaking to watch as the birds fought it out in a desperate struggle for the scraps.
Most of the Geese had left the frozen lake and taken a little respite in the river.
By the riverbank, I could smell the unmistakable scent of a Fox which must have been stalking the wildfowl, so I decided to bait the area with a generous helping of Turkey (which I had brought just in case) and lie low on the embankment.

Well the Fox didn't show yet again, but I was more than delighted to see that the bait didn't go to waste...

In fact given the conditions, I don't think I could have wished for a more worthy recipient than this young Grey Heron...

No comments:

Post a Comment