Sunday 24 January 2010

Best Laid Plans...

It's been a pretty miserable week weather wise and because of that I've not been out with the camera, instead I spent the week planning my itinerary for today.
The plan was to explore Bleaklow and Higher Shelf Moor high in the Peak District and hopefully capture some of the wildlife there which includes Mountain Hare, Red Grouse, Golden Plover and Curlew.
Unfortunately this part of the Dark Peak is as bleak as it comes and the weather can change at the drop of a hat and today proved no exception!

It was still dark as I left home and the plan was to arrive at the bottom of Bleaklow just before first light.
Although it was raining lightly I was determined to get some shots after a week of inactivity and was optimistic of doing so.
However as the steep drive along the Snake Pass progressed, I had all but given up hope of setting foot on the moors because like so often in this part of the world a thick fog had descended.
On arrival I spent a few minutes weighing up the options and although disappointed, I thought it would be foolhardy to attempt the trek...Not just because of the fog but because of the ice and snow also.
Luckily I know this area of the Peaks very well and I knew that all was not lost for the day...
I decided to drive further down the Snake and on to Derwent Valley which always offers some decent wildlife opportunities.

It was still very cold in the valley, with light rain and a very dark sky.
Knowing I'd be pretty limited to where I could venture because of the light, I decided to visit a favourite spot on the edge of some woodland beside the Ladybower Reservoir and was treated to some close views of some common but none the less beautiful little birds...


No comments:

Post a Comment