Saturday 8 May 2010

Pennington Flash

I've done a lot of driving in the last week in my quest to photograph wildlife and to be perfectly honest, the long drives and early starts began to take there toll on me, so Thursday and Friday I decided to slow things down a bit and I spent two days in and around the hides at Pennington Flash.


There is something very relaxing about being able to sit in a hide in relative comfort, alone with your thoughts, watching birds go about their business.
In fact sometimes you can get so lost in your thoughts that you forget to fire the shutter of your camera and miss something good!

The main birds of note at Penny over the last couple of days were Terns...Plenty of Common Tern which I had very distant views of and a single Artic Tern which unfortunately I didn't see at all.


Thursday was a rather dull rainy day, but was brightened by close views of a pair of Gadwall and one of my favourite waders the Oystercatcher...





Friday was a glorious day and after an hour or so spent in Horrock's Hide, I was rewarded with some fantastic views of another wader, the Redshank...



There were all the usual suspects at the Bunting Hide, but the highlight for me was seeing the very elusive Stock Dove at relatively close quarters...


The bright sunshine had brought out large numbers of Butterflies all over Penny, including this beautiful Orange Tip that made an all too brief stop on a Dandelion...




A perfect Spring day was capped by the glorious sight of newborn birds following their proud parents all over the Flash.

However some couldn't resist leaving the safety of the family group for a few moments to explore their new world...


Night Fever...


My comedy image of the week was provided by this Black-Headed Gull, who seemed to fancy himself as the next John Travolta...


Mr John Travolta


Black-Headed Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment