Thursday 27 May 2010

Recent Rabbits

During the spring months of April and May, one of the UK's most abundant mammals, the Rabbit is at it's most active and many times in the last couple of months I've encountered these very timid creatures on my travels...


The best times of day to find Rabbits are early in the morning or late in the evening before sunset.
During the spring months, Rabbits seem to be very active throughout the daytime also and are surprisingly easy to spot at known locations.
The image below was taken at a site close to my home in early April, shot back lit into the early morning sun...

If you remain downwind and use a bit of cover, getting close to Rabbits can be a fairly easy exercise...

However, Rabbits are well equipped and have eyes on the side of their heads, giving nearly 300 degrees of vision which proves a useful tool in spotting any unwanted guests on their manor and of course their hearing is super-sensitive too...So it's best to avoid stepping on any twigs like I did on this occasion!

Another early and dew soaked morning Rabbit, this time from early May...

Finally at my favourite local location, there is a small population of Black Rabbits. I'm not sure, but I don't think that these Rabbits are a naturally occurring melanistic variety...More likely I think to be escaped pets that have joined local colonies fairly recently and have adapted well in the wild.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely pics !
    The second one is a real beauty :)
    And the black one a real curiosity !

    ReplyDelete